17 ways to know that you are living life on your terms.
How would you spend each day if you didn’t rely on full-time work to earn money? Here are 17 ways to know that you are living life on your terms – and not those of your boss.
1) When a rainy Monday morning means staying in bed and nothing else.
“Lost time is never found again.” – Benjamin Franklin
2) And after you do finally get up, you decide to take a bath before lunch.
“My favorite things in life don’t cost any money. It’s really clear that the most precious resource we all have is time.” – Steve Jobs
3) And after that, you choose to spend the afternoon watching an entire series of The Big Bang Theory or House of Cards or whatever you feel like.
4) You workout each day before lunch – not at the crack of dawn.
5) You wake up in the morning and decide to go on an adventure – just because.
“The biggest adventure you can take is to live the life of your dreams.” – Oprah Winfrey
6) You can take your kids to soccer/cricket/netball practice and stay there to watch.
7) Hell, you can even sign up to become assistant coach. (Why not? You’ve got the time.)
8) You believe that a train ride to the city is a ‘relaxing’ experience (it is outside peak hour).
9) You let the kids wag school for the day and take them to beach instead.
10) You are totally on track with your kids’ schoolwork and pre-empt projects so you don’t have to figure out how to build a working volcano the night before it is due.
11) You join a book club – and actually read the book.
“You can make positive deposits in your own economy every day by reading and listening to powerful, positive, life-changing content and by associating with encouraging and hope-building people.” – Zig Ziglar
12) You plan holidays based on your desire to immerse yourself in another culture – not on how much annual leave you can take.
“I have wandered all my life, and I have also traveled; the difference between the two being this, that we wander for distraction, but we travel for fulfilment.” – Hilaire Belloc
13) Finally, you can write that book you always wanted to write – and self publish it.
“Passion is one great force that unleashes creativity, because if you’re passionate about something, then you’re more willing to take risks.” – Yo-Yo Ma
14) You pursue all the other interests you have and start new projects.
“By virtue of being born to humanity, every human being has a right to the development and fulfillment of his potentialities as a human being.” – Ashley Montagu
15) And, you can spend your daylight hours doing it, while your evenings are spent relaxing.
16) You don’t equate your time with money anymore and spend your week giving back to the community.
“I am a huge believer in giving back and helping out in the community and the world. Think globally, act locally I suppose. I believe that the measure of a person’s life is the affect they have on others.” – Steve Nash
17) You can just be there for your family – no work-related stress, no “I’m too busy right now”, no “How will I find the time?”
You can just be there, in the present moment.
Pure and simple.
“I know that the purpose of life is to understand and be in the present moment with the people you love. It’s just that simple.” – Jane Seymour